Monday, March 10, 2014

Depression & Anxiety.

I have seen countless posts on blogs, instagram, and various other social media outlets about depression. Since about the start of the new year I feel like, for whatever reason, people are opening up about their own dealings with depression & anxiety. And I am so glad!

Although I've never dealt with clinical depression myself (granted, I've been sad in my life, grieved, gone through really hard times... but never had a chemical imbalance that would classify as depression or anxiety), I have dealt with it very close to home many, many times. And my heart aches for those who think that depression is something they are dealing with alone. Or that it makes them weak. Or "less than." Or damaged. Or misfit. Or like they are lacking in something (faith, optimism, empathy, etc...).  I understand that those feelings of shame and such often are symptoms of the ailment themselves, but it's hard to see those you love struggling through those things.


I don't really have a point to this blog post. I don't know what my purpose is in writing it other than to say... if you think you need help -- seek it. Find out if you do. Whether that's a visit to your doctor, a therapist, an honest conversation with a friend or spouse, a regular exercise schedule, or (ideally) all of the above... do what you need to do to be happy. Because you deserve to be happy & you deserve to healthy in the truest aspect of the word.  You are worth that. You are worth feeling happy & accepted. Life is too wonderful to let it pass you by feeling mediocre or apathetic. And if you need me to push you to do what you need to do, just let me know. ;) I am so, so passionate about this topic that, even if you're a complete stranger reading this, I would love to help you however I can. Because what you're going through is not normal -- but isn't weird. And there are things that can be done to help you. Find out what you need.

You're tuning out because it hurts too much to try
You're giving up before you've had your chance to fly
Josh Groban - Hideaway

1 comment:

Kirsten said...

Love this so much! Thanks for sharing this.